Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West House, interior. View of dining hall.

ED 4957/7

Description West House, interior. View of dining hall.

Date 1955

Catalogue Number ED 4957/7

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 564997

Scope and Content The Dining Hall, Royal Edinburgh Hospital (West House), Tipperlin Road, Morningside, Edinburgh The Royal Edinburgh Hospital, originally known as West House, was designed by William Burn in 1839 to supplement the old East House asylum, which opened in 1809, and to accommodate the 'pauper lunatics' of Edinburgh and Leith. The dining hall, in the north range of buildings has a lofty timber-beamed roof, polished wooden floor, and elegant arched windows. It was designed to accommodate 400 patients. The Royal Edinburgh Hospital was established with a humane attitude to those suffering from mental illness. Influenced by the work of Philippe Pinel, the hospital provided comfortable wards, warm clothing and good food for its mainly 'pauper patients'. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions