Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Redford House. View of house.

B 32954/6

Description Edinburgh, Redford House. View of house.

Date c. 1980

Catalogue Number B 32954/6

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 548590

Scope and Content The Lodge (Drummond Scrolls), Redford House, Redford Road, Colinton, Edinburgh The Lodge, which lies just within the gates of Redford House, was built in 1884 by the then owner Robert Andrew Macfie of Dreghorn, from parts of the frontispiece of Edinburgh's Old Royal Infirmary which had been demolished earlier that year. This south wall of the lodge was built from the Old Infirmary's attic section of three bays, divided by piers, and flanked by massive leafy scrolls, one depicting thistles and the other roses. It was repaired and internally modernised in 1966. The Old Royal Infirmary, designed by William Adam, was built in 1738 in Infirmary Street. Although additional accommodation was provided in 1853 for surgical patients, a new hospital, the present Royal Infirmary, was built at Lauriston in 1879. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/427765

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions