St Kilda Village. General view from North East.
Description St Kilda Village. General view from North East.
Date c. 1878
Catalogue Number SC 416620
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of IN 2368
Scope and Content 1870s photograph of village, Hirta, St Kilda, Hebrides St Kilda was settled in ancient times but repopulated after 1727 when a smallpox epidemic left only 30 survivors. The only village, on Hirta, was rebuilt in the 1830s and evacuated in 1930 after the population had shrunk to under 30. This shows the village in about 1878. At the time, the islanders were enthusiastic members of the Free Church. The long hours spent in regular church and prayer meetings are thought to have contributed to the island's decline. St Kilda's subsistence economy was based on sheep-rearing, egg-collecting and bird-harvesting, as well as crofting and fishing. Most of the work depended on the weather and the season and was easily disrupted by a strict timetable of religious observance. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Attribution: © RCAHMS
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]