Publication drawing; St Kilda village, distribution plan of houses dating from 1861 and later. Photographic copy.
Description Publication drawing; St Kilda village, distribution plan of houses dating from 1861 and later. Photographic copy.
Date c. 1986 to 1987
Catalogue Number SC 416592
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of A 80010
Scope and Content Map of post-1861 houses, village, Hirta, St Kilda, Hebrides St Kilda was settled in ancient times but repopulated after 1727 when a smallpox epidemic left only 30 survivors. The only village, on Hirta, was rebuilt in the 1830s and evacuated in 1930 after the population had shrunk to under 30. This map shows the rectangular-plan houses built after the 1860 hurricane. In late 1860, a hurricane devastated St Kilda and in the next year the landlord sent craftsmen from the mainland to build new houses. Many of the older black houses remained in service, but no more were constructed. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Attribution: © RCAHMS
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]