Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Liberton House Detail of carved panel on South front of North range

ED 11433

Description Liberton House Detail of carved panel on South front of North range

Date 13/9/1978

Catalogue Number ED 11433

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 565167

Scope and Content Carved panel from Liberton House, Liberton Drive, Liberton, Edinburgh Liberton House lies at the end of an avenue of elm trees on the south side of Liberton Drive. Built c.1600 for the merchant, William Little, it stands on the site of an earlier building, and incorporates features of the tower-house. This carved panel, on the south front of the north range of the house, contains a scroll bearing the arms of the Little family, and the initials 'W L' for William Little. In the 16th century, the estate of Liberton was gradually acquired by the Littles, a strong and influential Edinburgh family. William Little eventually owned the whole estate by 1587, and moved from the fortified Liberton Tower to Liberton House c.1600. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/409710

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions