Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Garlic Chapel, The Paye. General view from South from within graveyard.

SC 398650

Description Garlic Chapel, The Paye. General view from South from within graveyard.

Date 1957

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 398650

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RC 857/26

Scope and Content Gaelic Chape, The Pay, Cromarty, Highland Cromarty was a depopulated and poor burgh until 1772 when George Ross purchased the Cromarty estate and went on to establish a rope-works and a brewery. The town flourished until about 1850 when both enterprises failed. The Gaelic Chapel was built by George Ross in 1783 to cater for Gaelic speaking factory workers displaced from their homes by the Highland Clearances. The building is now roofless. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/398650

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions