Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Obelisk to Earl of Cromarty, Tulloch Street. General view.

SC 398440

Description Obelisk to Earl of Cromarty, Tulloch Street. General view.

Date 1900 to 1930

Collection Collection of photographs by George Chrystal and Francis Maxwell Chrystal, photographers, Edinburgh,

Catalogue Number SC 398440

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RC 1136

Scope and Content Pre-replacement view of Earl of Cromartie Memorial, St Clement's Church, Tulloch Street, Dingwall, Highland St Clement's Church was built in 1799-1803 by George Burn of Haddington and replaced an earlier church. The interior furnishings were renewed in 1877-8. The graveyard contains monuments from as early as the 16th century. The Earl of Cromartie Memorial, a tall obelisk, was built some time after the earl's death in 1714. This photograph shows the original 18th-century structure leaning dangerously as if about to topple. It was replaced by a replica in 1922. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Francis M Chrystal Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions