Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Fortrose Cathedral, Cathedral Square, Fortrose.

SC 398310

Description View of Fortrose Cathedral, Cathedral Square, Fortrose.

Date c. 1925

Collection A Brown and Company

Catalogue Number SC 398310

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RC 1383

Scope and Content 1925 photograph of Cathedral Church, Fortrose Cathedral, Fortrose, Highland Fortrose Cathedral was built in 1236 as a replacement for a smaller structure at Rosemarkie. After the Reformation, the south aisle survived as a burial-aisle and the chapter house as a council house and school. The cathedral's roof-lead was granted to William, Lord Ruthven, in 1572. The stones of the nave and the choir (where the people are standing) were taken to build Inverness Citadel in 1652-3. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference 652

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/398310

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 4) A Brown and Company

Group Level (551 4/22) Ross and Cromarty

>> Item Level (SC 398310) View of Fortrose Cathedral, Cathedral Square, Fortrose.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (A Brown & Co Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions