Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South east elevation, entrance detail

SC 388570

Description South east elevation, entrance detail

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 388570

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 4095/28

Scope and Content Detail of doorway, No 9 Marketgate, Crail, Fife Crail was created a royal burgh in 1310, with a royal castle just to the east of the burgh. Fishing was the main industry in the town throughout its history, but this declined during the 19th century, and the town now relies on tourism. Also called Friar's Court, No 9 Marketgate is among Crail's oldest houses. This datestone above the entrance doorway is carved 1686, along with the initials 'CD' and 'IS'. Built of rubble, its harling was probably removed during renovations in 1938. The town developed around three medieval streets which still exist today relatively untouched. High Street and Marketgate run through the centre of the town, and Nethergate runs parallel to the shore. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/388570

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions