Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of the market cross from the south

SC 388566

Description View of the market cross from the south

Date 1904

Collection National Art Survey of Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 388566

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 5086

Scope and Content View of Market Cross, Marketgate, Crail, Fife Crail was created a royal burgh in 1310, with a royal castle just to the east of the burgh. Fishing was the main industry in the town throughout its history, but this declined during the 19th century, and the town now relies on tourism. This is Crail's market cross which stands in Marketgate beside the tolbooth. The present cross was re-erected on this site in 1887 and comprises a 17th-century shaft with a 19th-century base and unicorn. The original site of the cross is not known. The town developed around three medieval streets which still exist today relatively untouched. High Street and Marketgate run through the centre of the town, and Nethergate runs parallel to the shore. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/388566

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 162) National Art Survey of Scotland

> Item Level (SC 388566) View of the market cross from the south

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (National Art Survey of Scotland Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions