Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Exterior view

SC 388549

Description Exterior view

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 388549

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 4097/33

Scope and Content View of Priory Dovecot, Crail, Fife Crail was created a royal burgh in 1310, with a royal castle just to the east of the burgh. Fishing was the main industry in the town throughout its history, but this declined during the 19th century, and the town now relies on tourism. Priory Dovecot lies on the outskirts of Crail and was built for the former nunnery which stood nearby. It is a beehive dovecot dating from the 16th century. Covered in cement render in this photograph, it was restored in 1962. Pigeons once provided a valuable supply of fresh meat, especially in winter, and special structures were built by privileged landlords and landed institutions to accommodate the birds. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/388549

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions