Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from south west

SC 388545

Description View from south west

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 388545

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 4109/34

Scope and Content View of No 38 Shoregate, Crail, Fife Crail was created a royal burgh in 1310, with a royal castle just to the east of the burgh. Fishing was the main industry in the town throughout its history, but this declined during the 19th century, and the town now relies on tourism. Shoregate is the oldest street in Crail and leads from the harbour to the High Street. These 17th- and 18th-century houses display features typical of Fife fishing villages - crowstepped gables, pantiled roofs and an external forestair to the first floor. Overlooking the harbour, this building incorporates the harbour office (centre) and the harbour-master would probably have lived in one of the flanking houses. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/388545

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions