Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior. Ground floor from NW.

SC 384520

Description Interior. Ground floor from NW.

Catalogue Number SC 384520

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of DF 2502

Scope and Content Ground-floor chamber, Hollows Tower, Dumfries and Galloway Hollows, or Gilnockie, Tower was built by Johnny Armstrong around 1528 to replace an earlier stronghold destroyed by an English force that year. In 1979, the tower was comprehensively restored and is now a private residence.. Each floor was taken up by a single room. This barrel-vaulted chamber on the ground floor served as a store-room, lit by a small window set high in the wall. The circular opening in the wall is a gun-loop, one of several on the ground floor. In 1530, Johnny Armstrong, along with a number of followers and relatives, was summarily executed for treason on the order of James V. Deceived by the king's offer of a pardon for their incessant pillaging, the Armstrongs rode to meet James at Hawick. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/384520

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions