Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior. Ground floor from SE.

SC 384519

Description Interior. Ground floor from SE.

Catalogue Number SC 384519

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of DF 2501

Scope and Content Ground-floor chamber, Hollows Tower, Dumfries and Galloway Hollows, or Gilnockie, Tower was built by Johnny Armstrong around 1528 to replace the stronghold destroyed by an English force that year. In 1979, the tower was comprehensively restored and is now a private residence. Each floor was originally taken up by a single room, with a turnpike stair in the south-east corner of the tower. This barrel-vaulted chamber on the ground floor presumably served as a store-room. In 1530, Johnny Armstrong, along with a number of followers and relatives, was summarily executed for treason on the order of James V. Deceived by the king's offer of a pardon for their incessant pillaging, the Armstrongs rode to meet James at Hawick. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/384519

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions