Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior. First floor from SE.

SC 384518

Description Interior. First floor from SE.

Catalogue Number SC 384518

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of DF 2503

Scope and Content First-floor hall, Hollows Tower, Dumfries and Galloway Hollows, or Gilnockie, Tower was built by Johnny Armstrong around 1528 to replace the stronghold destroyed by an English force that year. In 1979, the tower was comprehensively restored and is now a private residence. On either side of the first-floor hall are two round-headed window embrasures, each with stone seats. Corbels to support the floor of the chamber above can be seen running down either wall. At the end of the hall is a large arched fireplace. In 1530, Johnny Armstrong, along with a number of followers and relatives, was summarily executed for treason on the order of James V. Deceived by the king's offer of a pardon for their incessant pillaging, the Armstrongs rode to meet James at Hawick. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/384518

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions