Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view from E.

SC 384511

Description General view from E.

Catalogue Number SC 384511

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of DF 2499

Scope and Content View from east of Hollows Tower, Dumfries and Galloway Hollows, or Gilnockie, Tower was built by Johnny Armstrong around 1528 to replace an earlier stronghold destroyed by an English force that year. In 1979, the tower was comprehensively restored and is now a private residence. Seen here prior to restoration, Hollows Tower stands four storeys high, with a garret on top. Each of the corners has a rounded angle turret, and originally a parapet (now missing) ran around the top of the tower. In 1530, Johnny Armstrong, along with a number of followers and relatives, was summarily executed for treason on the order of James V. Deceived by the king's offer of a pardon for their incessant pillaging, the Armstrongs rode to meet James at Hawick. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/384511

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions