Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from the South West. insc. 'A view of the Castle of St Andrews from the South. To George Dempster of Dunichen Esq. Member for the City of St. Andrews. This plate is humbly Dedicated by his most ...

SC 371022

Description View from the South West. insc. 'A view of the Castle of St Andrews from the South. To George Dempster of Dunichen Esq. Member for the City of St. Andrews. This plate is humbly Dedicated by his most obedient Servant. J. Oliphant. London: Republished 1 July 1796 by Robert Wilkinson No. 58 Cornhill. J. Oliphant delin.t B.T. Pouncy sculp.'

Catalogue Number SC 371022

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 95705 PO

Scope and Content 18th-century print of St Andrews Castle, Fife St Andrews Castle, the seat of the bishop of St Andrews, was destroyed during the Wars of Independence and rebuilt in its present form by Bishop Traill (1385-1401). It was besieged in 1546-7 after Protestants assassinated Cardinal Beaton. This shows the castle as it was in the later 18th century after the south-west facade had become ruinous. A field of corn occupies the land to the west of the overgrown castle, while in the background, the Firth of Forth is busy with ships. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/371022

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions