Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view from East.

SC 370926

Description General view from East.

Catalogue Number SC 370926

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 5178

Scope and Content Fore-tower and east wall of St Andrews Castle, Fife St Andrews Castle, the seat of the bishop of St Andrews, was destroyed during the Wars of Independence and rebuilt in its present form by Bishop Traill (1385-1401). It was besieged in 1546-7 after Protestants assassinated Cardinal Beaton. What remained of the east side of the castle after the French bombarded and then demolished the castle has since fallen into the sea. However, Traill's fore-tower (left), once the castle's gatehouse, still stands. In 1546, Cardinal Beaton burned Wishart, the protestant preacher, outside St Andrews Castle. He was then killed by protestant activists who seized the castle and, with their supporters including John Knox, held it until overcome by French forces in 1547. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/370926

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions