Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of entrance from South West.

SC 370924

Description View of entrance from South West.

Catalogue Number SC 370924

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 5174

Scope and Content Fore-tower and east wall of St Andrews Castle, Fife St Andrews Castle, the seat of the bishop of St Andrews, was destroyed during the Wars of Independence and rebuilt in its present form by Bishop Traill (1385-1401). It was besieged in 1546-7 after Protestants assassinated Cardinal Beaton. The south west façade with the main entrance was rebuilt after the siege by Archbishop Hamilton on earlier foundations, replacing the earlier drawbridge with a permanent structure. A small door to the right provided access without opening the main gate. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/370924

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions