Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from South East.

SC 369452

Description View from South East.

Collection National Art Survey of Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 369452

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 5078

Scope and Content St Rule's Church, St Andrews, Fife St Rule's (or St Regulus') Church dates from the 11th or 12th centuries, and was the first church of the Augustinian Priory. Scholars have not reached agreement on the period of its foundation, though recent work argues strongly for an 11th-century date. The tower of St Rule's rises to 33m and is of a type which was probably common in pre-Norman Britain. It originally stood in the centre of the church of which survives only the eastern part, or sanctuary, which housed the relics of St Andrew. There was a religious community at St Andrews by the mid 8th century, and a bishop by the mid 10th century. The Augustinian canons, who replaced the original community in around 1125, flourished until the Reformation. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/369452

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 162) National Art Survey of Scotland

> Item Level (SC 369452) View from South East.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (National Art Survey of Scotland Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions