Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Sween. General view from South-East.

SC 366683

Description Castle Sween. General view from South-East.

Date 1983

Catalogue Number SC 366683

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 13228 CN

Scope and Content South west corner of Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll Sween Castle was probably begun in the late 12th century by Suibhne, the first of the MacSween lords of Knapdale. In 1262, the family lost Knapdale to the king's ally, the earl of Menteith, and subsequently became Irish landowners and mercenaries. Most of the walls seen here were built by the MacSweens in the late 12th century. However, the north-east tower (right) is the work of the MacDonald Lords of the Isles. James IV dispossessed the last of the semi-independent - or from the king's perspective, rebellious - MacDonald Lords of the Isles in 1493. The king granted their lands to the Campbell Earl of Argyll who he trusted to control the west coast of Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/366683

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions