Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Southerness Lighthouse from SE.

SC 361964

Description View of Southerness Lighthouse from SE.

Date 13/11/1984

Catalogue Number SC 361964

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of KB 3089 CN

Scope and Content View from south showing Southerness Lighthouse, Dumfries and Galloway Southerness Lighthouse was built by Dumfries Town Council in 1748-9 to serve the northith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth. It was Scotland's third purpose-built lighthouse and is the second oldest to survive to the present day. This square lighthouse tower was heightened in the 1780s and again in 1842-3. The brass lantern frame dating from 1894, and produced by James Milne & Son Limited of Edinburgh, originally stood in the light-chamber but is now on a concrete plinth nearby. The waters of the Nith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth are difficult to navigate because of the treacherous sand-bars. The light was last operated in 1936. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/361964

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions