Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of balcony and light room.

A 27350

Description Detail of balcony and light room.

Date 13/11/1984

Catalogue Number A 27350

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 361965

Scope and Content Detail of balcony and lantern room at Southerness Lighthouse, Dumfries and Galloway Southerness Lighthouse was built by Dumfries Town Council in 1748-9 to serve the northith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth. It was Scotland's third purpose-built lighthouse and is the second oldest to survive to the present day. This is the balcony and light room at the top of the square lighthouse tower. A brass lantern frame dating from 1894, and produced by James Milne & Son Limited of Edinburgh, originally stood in the light-chamber but is now on a concrete plinth nearby. The waters of the Nith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth are difficult to navigate because of the treacherous sand-bars. The lighthouse tower was heightened in the 1780s and again in 1842-3. The light was last operated in 1936. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions