Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carnasserie Castle, interior. Detail of gun port in South wall.

SC 359831

Description Carnasserie Castle, interior. Detail of gun port in South wall.

Catalogue Number SC 359831

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 7656

Scope and Content Gun-port in base of south wall of Carnassarie Castle, overlooking Kilmartin valley, Argyll Carnassarie Castle was built in 1565-72 by John Carswell, Bishop of Argyll and the Isles, on the land of his patron, the Earl of Argyll. In 1643, the feudal overlord, the Marquis of Argyll, granted it to the Campbells of Auchenbreck. This is one of the four gun-ports in the base of the south wall which allowed musketeers to defend the castle from a safe position, and also provided light and ventilation to the vaulted ground floor. In 1685, 600 royalists stormed Carnassarie Castle after it was 'blown up by treachery'. They are said to have ignored its subsequent surrender, wounded twenty defenders, killed the laird's uncle, driven off 60 horses, and left the castle in ashes. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions