Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castle Sween. General view from North-East.

SC 359767

Description Castle Sween. General view from North-East.

Catalogue Number SC 359767

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 13235

Scope and Content Outside of north-east tower of Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll Castle Sween was granted to the MacDonald Lords of the Isles in 1376. From 1440 it was kept for them by the MacNeills, and then, in the early 1470s, by Alexander MacMillan. The castle was forfeited in 1475 and granted to the Campbells. The north-east tower is traditionally known as the MacMillan tower. However, Alexander MacMillan only held the castle for about three years, probably not long enough for a building project like this. James IV dispossessed the last of the semi-independent - or from the king's perspective, rebellious - MacDonald Lords of the Isles in 1493. The king granted their lands to the Campbell Earl of Argyll who he trusted to control the west coast of Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359767

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions