Detail of ground floor doorway in South wall of Keep
SC 359263
Description Detail of ground floor doorway in South wall of Keep
Date 1965
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number SC 359263
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of AG 742
Scope and Content Ground-floor entrance of tower-house of Skipness Castle, Knapdale, Argyll The tower-house of Skipness Castle was probably built by the Campbell lairds in the early 16th century. It saw service in 1645 when the MacDonalds, the earlier owners, took advantage of the Wars of the Covenant besiege the castle, albeit unsuccessfully. This ground-floor entrance under the forestair includes an altered medieval doorway which originally led into the north wing of the east range. Stone tower-houses were popular, especially in lawless regions, from the 14th to the 17th century. They were cheap compared to a proper castle because they were secure against the everyday danger of armed raiders and thieves, but not against artillery. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359263
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES
Licence Type: Internally Generated
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]