Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilbrannan Chapel. Detail of mural monument in South wall.

SC 359262

Description Kilbrannan Chapel. Detail of mural monument in South wall.

Date 1965

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 359262

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 715

Scope and Content Detail of mural monument in south wall of Kilbrannan Chapel, Skipness, Argyll and Bute Kilbrannan Chapel stands c.320m south-east of Skipness Castle on the eastern shore of Skipness Bay. Dating from the late 13th or early 14th century, it is dedicated to St Brendan and was probably out of use by the end of the 18th century. Although roofless, the chapel is relatively well-preserved. The remains lie within a burial-ground which contains many late medieval and Post-Reformation (post-1560) tombstones and monuments, including this mural monument on the south wall of the chapel. Set in a burial-enclosure adjoining the chapel, this monument dates from c.1750. The blank inscription panel is framed by Doric pilasters and a scrolled broken pediment. The whole monument is framed by Doric columns below a triangular pediment. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Inv. plate 31e

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/359262

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions