Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilbrannan Chapel, Kaymand Tombstone. Detail of Kaymand tombstone in churchyard, dated 1727 and with tailors' insignia, including an iron and scissors.

AG 688

Description Kilbrannan Chapel, Kaymand Tombstone. Detail of Kaymand tombstone in churchyard, dated 1727 and with tailors' insignia, including an iron and scissors.

Date 1965

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AG 688

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 359234

Scope and Content Detail of tailors' gravestone, Kilbrannan Chapel, Skipness, Argyll and Bute Kilbrannan Chapel stands c.320m south-east of Skipness Castle on the eastern shore of Skipness Bay. Dating from the late 13th or early 14th century, it is dedicated to St Brendan and was probably out of use by the end of the 18th century. Although roofless, the chapel is relatively well-preserved. The remains lie within a burial-ground which contains many late medieval and Post-Reformation (post-1560) tombstones and monuments, including this gravestone dated 1727. This stone commemorates Donald Kaymand, a tailor in Colphen (Coalfin), and his wife Cathrine Taylor. On this face the stone bears carved representations of tailors' tools - an iron (top left), scissors (top right) and crossed needles (bottom left). Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/358996

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions