Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of grave slab from Kilbrannan Chapel churchyard.

AG 638

Description Detail of grave slab from Kilbrannan Chapel churchyard.

Date 5/1965

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AG 638

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 359233

Scope and Content Detail of grave-slab in burial-ground of Kilbrannan Chapel, Skipness, Argyll and Bute Kilbrannan Chapel stands c.320m south-east of Skipness Castle on the eastern shore of Skipness Bay. Dating from the late 13th or early 14th century, it is dedicated to St Brendan and was probably out of use by the end of the 18th century. Although roofless, the chapel is relatively well-preserved. The remains lie within a burial-ground which contains many late medieval and Post-Reformation (post-1560) tombstones and monuments, including this tapered grave-slab dating from c.1500. Surrounded by a decorated moulded border, the upper half bears a man armed with a spear and a sword with two dragons' heads above. The lower half is carved with interlaced foliage terminating in twin beasts, and at the bottom, a hound chasing a stag. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference AA1

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/358993

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions