Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of lantern frame.

SC 358532

Description Detail of lantern frame.

Catalogue Number SC 358532

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 27358

Scope and Content View of lantern frame at Southerness Lighthouse, Kirkcudbrightshire Southerness Lighthouse was built by Dumfries Town Council in 1748-9 to serve the Nith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth. It was Scotland's third purpose-built lighthouse and is the second oldest to survive to the present day. This lantern frame dating from 1894 originally stood in the light-chamber. It is made of brass and was produced by James Milne and Son Limited, engineers from Edinburgh. The waters of the Nith Estuary and the inner Solway Firth are difficult to navigate because of the treacherous sand-bars. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/358532

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions