Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of stones from within circle.

SC 336546

Description View of stones from within circle.

Date 1993

Catalogue Number SC 336546

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 75702 CN

Scope and Content Stone circle and henge known as the Ring of Brodgar, Orkney The Ring of Brodgar consists of a large henge surrounding a stone circle. There are 27 stones standing and another 13 are known. When complete there were probably 60 stones in the circle. The site has been excavated. This is a view of part of the stone circle. The intact stones stand between 2 m and 4.5 m high. They are evenly spaced. Since the mid 19th century, thirteen of the stones have been re-erected. It has been suggested that the site is a lunar observatory using the Hellia Cliff, on Hoy, as a foresight. This is unlikely as this would have only been possible from 1500 BC. The circle is about 1000 years older than this. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/336546

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions