Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Chapter House undercroft

SC 336466

Description View of Chapter House undercroft

Catalogue Number SC 336466

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RC 1101

Scope and Content Prison/undercroft of Fortrose Tolbooth/Cathedral Chapter-house, Highland Fortrose Cathedral Chapter-house became a tolbooth after the Reformation. The joint burgh of Fortrose and Rosemarkie took possession in 1661 when it was roofless. They made frantic efforts to find grants and to conscript local labour for repairs. The ground-floor undercroft was used as a prison. There is still graffiti on the walls, especially from 1655 and 1659, including images of stag's head crest from the MacKenzie arms. Built as Chapter House, probably 13th century; converted to tolbooth, late 16th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/336466

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions