Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view from West

SC 336348

Description General view from West

Catalogue Number SC 336348

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 45944

Scope and Content Tain Tolbooth, Highland Tain Tolbooth was built using a grant of 500 merks from the Convention of Royal Burghs, supplemented by voluntary collections from many Scottish churches. It replaced a 17th-century tolbooth which was in disrepair and suffering from severe storm-damage. The heraldic plaque above the entrance bears the date 1848, the year in which the main block to the right of the picture was rebuilt after a fire which started in its top-floor cells. It was enlarged in the original style in 1873. Built 1706-33 by Alexander Stronach; main block rebuilt in 1825; main block rebuilt after fire, 1848-9, by Thomas Brown; main block enlarged, 1873, by Andrew Maitland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions