Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Copy of drawing by James Drummond showing corner of Lawnmarket and Head of Upper Bow.

EDD 228/28 P

Description Copy of drawing by James Drummond showing corner of Lawnmarket and Head of Upper Bow.

Date 7/1849

Catalogue Number EDD 228/28 P

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 460283

Scope and Content West Bow, Edinburgh West Bow ran steeply down from Castle Hill to the Grassmarket. Much of it was demolished in 1829 when Victoria Street was cut across to run up from the Grassmarket to George IV Bridge. Only a few houses at the base and at the top of the street survive. This view shows the old houses at the top of the West Bow just after alteration. These houses may still be seen and, though the atmosphere of the street is much more one of commerce and tourism, some of the tenements still house families. In the distance the familiar outline of the steeple of St Giles' Cathedral may be made out. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/288825

People and Organisations

Events

MyCanmore Text Contributions