The Old Tower and Cross, Dundee
DP 448197
Description The Old Tower and Cross, Dundee
Date 1/1/1880 to 31/12/1880
Collection Records of the Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network (SCRAN), Edinburgh, Scotland
Catalogue Number DP 448197
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content A stone pillar on a stepped base in a railed garden before a church with a square clock tower, with cabs or cars parked below. The small building or extension below the tower on the street side may be a cabbies' shelter. A works chimney rises to left. The Cross dates from 1586. It was first sited in the old Seagate then moved to the High Street and moved again to the Old Steeple. It was later relocated to a site further up the Nethergate, and removed again when the Angus Hotel was demolished in 1998. The tower is all that remains of the 15th century Church of St Mary's, in which the Governor and Council took refuge in 1651 when the city was besieged by the Cromwellian General Monck. It has been restored and is now open to the public.
Accession Number 2024/57
External Reference 000-000-152-285-C, 000-000-152-285-R
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/2770958
File Format (JPG) JPEG bitmap
Attribution: © Licensed by St Andrews University Library (project 229) (Records of the Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network (SCRAN), Edinburgh, Scotland)
Licence Type: SCRAN Licence Non-Commercial
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]