Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Fortrose Cathedral, Cathedral Square. View to West end.

RC 1100

Description Fortrose Cathedral, Cathedral Square. View to West end.

Date c. 1930

Collection Ian G Lindsay

Catalogue Number RC 1100

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 398309

Scope and Content Cathedral Church, Fortrose Cathedral, Fortrose, Highland Fortrose Cathedral was built in 1236 as a replacement for a smaller structure at Rosemarkie. After the Reformation, the south aisle survived as a burial-aisle and the chapter house as a council house and school. This is the south aisle of the cathedral church, the burial place of the Mackenzies of Seaforth. The narrower west end is said to have been built as the burial chapel of Euphemia (d. 1394), wife of Alexander Stewart, 'the Wolf of Badenoch'. Burials inside churches were banned in 1581. Wealthy families got around this by converting disused religious structures into mausolea, by adding burial-aisles to churches, and, in the 17th century, by creating separate burial-enclosures. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/259484

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions