Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Collection Item

C 47610

Date 1940

Collection Luftwaffe: Aerial Reconnaisance (Scotland)

Catalogue Number C 47610

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 797411

Scope and Content Aerial view of Westquarter Chemical Works, Falkirk Outlined in black, the extent of the plant is clearly defined. The works straddle the Union Canal, which runs east to west across this photograph and was used during the war as an alternative to the railways as a means of transporting goods. In this photograph, both the main Edinburgh to Glasgow line and a branch line to Stirling are visible. Chemical production began at Westquarter in 1871, and the plant was later taken over by the Nobel Company (a precursor of ICI). During both World Wars Westquarter was used to produce mercury fulminate detonators with a factory workforce composed almost entirely of women. Taken by the Luftwaffe in 1940, this aerial photograph shows the Nobel Explosives Company chemical works near Westquarter on the outskirts of Falkirk. Today, little survives of the site, the plant having closed in the 1980s and the remaining structures demolished in the 1990s. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/253578

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions