Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of turret, precinct wall, St Andrews Cathedral.

F 1632

Description View of turret, precinct wall, St Andrews Cathedral.

Date 4/1964

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number F 1632

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 1667421

Scope and Content St Andrews Cathedral Abbey Walls, St Andrews, Fife The Abbey Walls were probably first built in the 14th century to mark the boundary of the Augustinian cathedral-priory's property. However, apart from the gatehouse known as 'The Pends', the surviving walls were built in the early 16th century. The recently-built walls were sturdy enough for the French to mount guns on them during the 1546-7 siege of St Andrews Castle. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference MW/BR/STA/43

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/229179

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions