Aerial view of the Eastgate Centre and Inverness Railway Station, looking NW.
DP 343230
Description Aerial view of the Eastgate Centre and Inverness Railway Station, looking NW.
Date 31/5/2014
Collection Papers of James Sloan Bone, landscape historian, Inverness, Highland, Scotland
Catalogue Number DP 343230
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content The first phase of the Eastgate Centre was opened in 1983, followed by an extension opened in 2003. Morrison's Supermarket is at centre right and it was built on the site of the auction mart which in turn was on the site of the Roundhouse (engine shed) associated with the railway. Falcon Square is named after the Falcon foundry which stood on this site and one of the original buildings has been re-erected on the square at centre left. Inverness Railway Station opened in 1855, but initially the line only went as far as Nairn. The connection with Aberdeen was established in 1858. In 1898 the direct route between Aviemore and Inverness was opened. Title and Scope & Content contributed by North of Scotland Archaeological Society (2021).
Accession Number 2020/58
External Reference D3102
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/2108511
File Format (JPG) JPEG bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: NOSAS (James S Bone Collection). Courtesy of HES.
Licence Type: Educational
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]