Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Close up aerial view of Laggan Locks at Loch Lochy on the Caledonian Canal, looking SSW.

DP 342774

Description Close up aerial view of Laggan Locks at Loch Lochy on the Caledonian Canal, looking SSW.

Date 2/6/2012

Collection J S Bone

Catalogue Number DP 342774

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content The canal joins Loch Lochy (pictured) to Loch Oich. Building commenced very late 18th century and the canal opened in the 1820s with significant remedial work 20 years later. The level of Loch Lochy was raised when the canal was built. This picture shows locks and keepers cottages alongside modern pontoons. Top left of the photo shows the current A82 built on the line of Wade's Military Road and the disused railway line from Spean Bridge to Fort Augustus as well as old townships and the site of a clan battle in 1544. Title and Scope & Content contributed by North of Scotland Archaeological Society (2021).

Accession Number 2020/58

External Reference D2563

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/2107145

File Format (JPG) JPEG bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (James S Bone)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions