Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial view of Fort Augustus, looking E.

SC 1944454

Description Aerial view of Fort Augustus, looking E.

Date 21/8/1999

Collection Papers of James Sloan Bone, landscape historian, Inverness, Highland, Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 1944454

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content To the left on the shore of Loch Ness is Fort Augustus completed in 1749 as a military fort. Only the NE and lower course of the W bastion remains. It was eventually absorbed into the Benedictine Monastery, built in a Gothic style 1876-1980. Part became a boys school in 1878. In the centre is the Swing Bridge which carries the A82 over the Caledonian Canal and left the flight of 5 locks completed 1820. In the foreground is the River Oich and road bridge which replaced an older bridge. Title and Scope & Content contributed by North of Scotland Archaeological Society (2021).

Accession Number 2019/15

External Reference S0921


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © NOSAS (James S Bone Collection). Courtesy of HES

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions