Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial view of Fortrose, Black Isle, looking N.

SC 1865162

Description Aerial view of Fortrose, Black Isle, looking N.

Date 1995

Collection Papers of James Sloan Bone, landscape historian, Inverness, Highland, Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 1865162

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Fortrose is a small town on the Black Isle, once known as Chanonry because it was the property and residence of the canons of Fortrose Cathedral. The Cathedral was established in Fortrose c. 1235 but most of the remains today date from the C14 and early C15, while the upper storey of the Chapter House was rebuilt in the C19. St. Andrew's Episcopal Church (built 1828) is to the right of the Cathedral and just above centre, on the road towards Rosemarkie, is the former Free Church which became the Parish Church. This was built in 1895-98. There are many historic sites within the town which relate to the Cathedral and lots of records of C19 houses. Title and Scope & Content contributed by North of Scotland Archaeological Society (2021).

Accession Number 2019/15

External Reference P10459

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1865162

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (James S Bone)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions