Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inveraray Castle Aerial view of Inveraray Castle and gardens

SC 1682721

Description Inveraray Castle Aerial view of Inveraray Castle and gardens

Date 1984

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 1682721

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 65632

Scope and Content Aerial view of Inveraray Castle, Argyll and Bute Archibald, 3rd Duke of Argyll, who succeeded to the title in 1743, was responsible for replacing the 15th-century Inveraray Castle with the present castle. He also initiated the removal of the town of Inveraray half a mile south to a new site. The castle, which looks onto symmetrical gardens, forms a rectangular block with an angle-tower at each corner. It is surrounded by a quatrefoil-shaped fosse or moat (which was designed to be dry) over which there are three bridges. The new castle, a good example of early Gothic Revival style, was begun in 1745 to designs by the architect Roger Morris (1695-1749). The architect John Vanbrugh (1664-1726) and Dugald Campbell, a military engineer (d.1757), may have provided ideas. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1682721

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 177) RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Sub-Group Level (551 177/9) 1984 Photographs

>> Item Level (SC 1682721) Inveraray Castle Aerial view of Inveraray Castle and gardens

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions