Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of turret, precinct wall, St Andrews Cathedral.

SC 1667415

Description View of turret, precinct wall, St Andrews Cathedral.

Date 4/1964

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 1667415

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 1626

Scope and Content Tower of St Andrews Cathedral Abbey Walls, St Andrews, Fife The Abbey Walls were probably first built in the 14th century to mark the boundary of the Augustinian cathedral-priory's property. However, apart from the gatehouse known as 'The Pends', the surviving walls were built in the early 16th century. An inscription records the towers as having been added as 'embellishments'. Despite their military appearance, and evidence for a parapet-walk, the walls were too thin to be intended for effective defence. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference MW/BR/STA/37

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1667415

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions