Detail of links on South cable on East side
SC 361232
Description Detail of links on South cable on East side
Catalogue Number SC 361232
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of IN 2812
Scope and Content Detail of linkage unit of Ness Island Footbridge on Island Bank Road, Inverness The Island Bank Road suspension bridge is one of two built in 1853-4 to a design by James Dredge for a total of £350. They replaced two earlier bridges, one ruinous, the other lost in the 1849 flood, connecting the island to the banks of the River Ness. This is how the iron rods making up the stays are joined together. The modern suspension bridge was developed around 1800 in America. It could be built without specialised stone-masons, and did not need piers. It was adopted in the Scottish Borders where Spring floods often swept away the piers of conventional bridges. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1659666
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap