Inverness Poorhouse, Old Edinburgh Road. General view.
SC 1642088
Description Inverness Poorhouse, Old Edinburgh Road. General view.
Date 1975 to 1976
Collection List C Survey
Catalogue Number SC 1642088
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of A 15762
Scope and Content Inverness Poor House, (now Hilton Hospital), Old Edinburgh Road, Inverness, Highlands Inverness expanded rapidly in the 19th century following construction of the Caledonian Canal (begun in 1804) and connection to the rail network (1855). Its main industries at that period were ship-building, iron founding and saw-milling. Inverness Poor House was built in 1859-61 by James Matthews and William Lawrie. It originally provided work and accommodation for the unemployed in what were often very strict conditions. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1642088
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (List C Survey)
Licence Type: Educational
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]