Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view of St Clement's Church, Rodel, Harris

SC 1528222

Description Oblique aerial view of St Clement's Church, Rodel, Harris

Date 5/1966

Collection John Dewar

Catalogue Number SC 1528222

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of IN 4307

Scope and Content Aerial view of St Clement's Church, Rodel, Harris, Western Isles St Clement's Church dates to the early 16th century and is widely acknowledged to be the 'grandest medieval building in the Western Isles'. It was probably built by Alasdair Crotach MacLeod (1498-1547) of Dunvegan and Harris, 8th Chief of the Clan MacLeod. The church is surrounded by a walled burial-ground, within which there are several burial enclosures which probably date to the early 18th century. They were built for some of the main cadet families of the MacLeods. Lewis and Harris are both parts of the same island, collectively known as 'the Long Island', which is the most northerly in the Outer Hebrides. Together they are about 95km in length and around 32km at the widest point. Most of Lewis is quite low-lying, whereas Harris is mountainous. Rodel, or Roghadel, comes from the Old Norse and means 'Red Dale'. The local soil is unlike that in the rest of Harris, being red in colour and very fertile. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference 4136/7

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1528222

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES (John Dewar Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions