Stores compounds at Sailean B. The small enclosure in the foreground, which was roofed, was for storing processed lime. The larger open compound beyond it was for the coal brought in by sea, both for ...
DP 175103
Description Stores compounds at Sailean B. The small enclosure in the foreground, which was roofed, was for storing processed lime. The larger open compound beyond it was for the coal brought in by sea, both for firing the lime-kilns and for sale locally. These compounds are not marked on the 1st edition OS 25-in map of 1871-2, but are evident in a photograph taken by Erskine Beveridge in 1883. The cottage in the background was the manager’s house and site office. It is shown as an unroofed building in the 1871-2 map. Beveridge’s photograph shows it in an evidently refurbished state, with a tarred roof. (Colin Martin)
Date 2005
Collection Dr Colin and Dr Paula Martin
Catalogue Number DP 175103
Category On-line Digital Images
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1406484
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Dr Colin and Dr Paula Martin Collection)
Licence Type: Full
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]