Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial view.

RE 1494

Description Aerial view.

Date 1972

Collection John Dewar

Catalogue Number RE 1494

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 800108

Scope and Content Aerial view of Newark Castle, Inverclyde This aerial view from the south-west, taken in 1872, shows the castle hemmed in by two shipbuilding yards, the Castle Yard of James Lamont & Co Ltd above, and Ferguson Brothers (Port Glasgow) Ltd's yard below. The access to the castle is a narrow lane between the two yards, on the west side of the castle. The original tower, remodelled with a tall parapet and flat roof, is to the right of the 1597-9 block in this view. The latter is the wing facing the sea. The gatehouse was the wing at the bottom in this view, and was added soon after the tower was built. The dovecot was at the angle of the courtyard of the castle. Newark Castle was originally a tower-house built soon after 1478 by George Maxwell, son of John Maxwell of Calderwood in Lanarkshire. It was greatly extended in 1597-9 by Patrick Maxwell. One of his descendants sold the site of Port Glasgow to the Town Council of Glasgow in 1668. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/119336

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES (John Dewar Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions