Road Bridge (19th Century)
Site Name Ashiestiel Bridge
Classification Road Bridge (19th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Ashiesteel Bridge; Low Peel Bridge; River Tweed; Yarrow; Ashestiel Bridge
Canmore ID 54415
Site Number NT43NW 9
NGR NT 43867 35076
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Caddonfoot
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
- Former County Selkirkshire
NT43NW 9 43867 35076
(NT 4386 3506) Ashiesteel Bridge (NAT)
OS 6" map (1957)
Low Peel Bridge. Ashiesteel Bridge, sometimes called Low Peel Bridge, crossing the River Tweed, was built in 1847. Constructed of whinstone rubble, its span is 132 ft, while it measures 203 ft in length, including the approaches, by 18 ft 10 ins in overall breadth. The structure was repaired in 1952. It is understood that the bridge collapsed once during its original construction, before the arch was completed.
RCAHMS 1957, visited 1953; SDD List
(Location cited as NT 439 351). Yarrow, Ashiestiel Bridge. Built 1847 by J and T Smith, Darnick, engineers. A remarkable single-segmental-arched rubble span. A long flat elliptical rubble arch. Nearby is a good example of a contemporary bridge over a small stream.
J R Hume 1976.
As described: a well-preserved bridge in daily use.
Visited by OS (MJF) 29 November 1979.
This bridge carries an unclassified public road over the River Tweed, within the parish of Caddonfoot.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 9 July 1998.